Sunday, May 10, 2009

My shelves

These are the shelves I've been trying to put together. I had put the center section up when they first arrived, but so many of the other shelves arrived damaged so that is as far as I got... until yesterday. And again... these are taken with the bad camera...

This is the area at the top of the stairs. I was going to keep it open to the foyer below, but once I realized just how small the area would be, I decided to floor it. It has contained a drawing desk, bins for toy storage, and various other things (JUNK), but I cleared it all out today. David brought my grandmother's chair up from the garage and took the writing desk down. Hopefully the extremely heavy tote of old magazines will go to the garage tomorrow. I moved them to the top stair so I could take a picture.

The center set has a little desk in the middle rather than a shelf. I may still use it as a shelf, but for now it is cleared off.
I also raised Isaac's bed up on those lift things to make some room for storage, though nothing is stored there yet... and cleared out the mudroom... though that area still needs work. Got all the winter shoes out of the shoe bins though...that helped a lot!
And you know what? It was the exact kind of Mother's Day day that I wanted- I wanted to get stuff done and I did! I sat in my chair and read a little "Shepherd of the Hills" when I was all done and sweet Abigail sliced some cheddar cheese and brought it to me with a coke :)
David got me a necklace and some earrings... which I love... I just really don't like getting gifts. I know I'm weird. Especially ones like that. I'd rather have a cast iron griddle! ha I've been looking at them but I had told David not to get me anything so I left no hints. But I do like the earrings and necklace. I wore them to church today. Abigail helped him pick them out.
I made a summer dress yesterday too... I'll take a picture of it when I find the better camera. I've got another one to make, but am going to line that one and am thinking of making it bubble on the bottom...

4 comments:

The Davidson Den said...

This post made me laugh. First of all, good gracious you got a LOT done!! And secondly, I'm the same way about gifts! I'm all about the practical. For my upcoming birthday I'd like a food processor and a nice, custom "Baby Sleeping" sign for my doorbell. The stuff of dreams. Ha!

Amanda said...

I love the way you get so excited about organizing your house. :) I need a smidge of that. Your house is really cute. You've done a great job with it. Dave actually told me last night he contemplated not getting me a gift for Mother's Day but just leaving it at breakfast and homemade cards from the kids. I said, "Are you kidding me? That is a horrible idea, and don't think for a second that would ever go over well!" lol...i think he got the picture. I love getting gifts but more b/c of the planning and thought behind them rather than the actual gift.

Denise said...

Awesome! Are these Crate&Barrel?

Unknown said...

I am with you, I dont enjoy getting gifts either. For my birthday this year I told my kids, 25 and 22, that all I wanted from them was for them to not text while driving. That is my kind of gift to know that they are safe. Now whether they are fulfilling that request is doubtfull, but even if they just think about it before they answer a text will make me happy. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am so glad my cooking blooper has made so many people laugh. Have a great weekend, stop back anytime. Sue