Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

Our Easter morning began early, though not because of anxious kids looking for baskets. Had to be at church at 8:15 to go over this song

except we did it with 12 people :) and I think Bro. Jerry did a much better job on the solo. I've never done a whole lot for Easter. We are always getting ready for church and that is enough to deal with in the morning and I don't want to add to the stress when I want to be focused on what the day is about, not stressing over all the things that take away from the real meaning of the day. I'm not a fan of the traditional aspects of easter... not easter baskets before church or massive lunches after. It makes for a crazy day and I don't think that is how it should be.
This is my favorite resurrection song, though it could be sung any time:

After church we went to Ron and Kathy's for lunch. She did a crazy big lunch and ended up missing the easter egg hunt b/c she was cleaning itall up. We all went outside after eating- I thought she was going to wait a minute before cleaning up, but she went back in saying she was just going to put the deviled eggs in the fridge and ended up not coming back out. I'll hopefully get the videos up on youtube soon.
At home I made up some clues for them to follow all over the house to find their treats. They figured them out faster than I thought. The 2nd to last one said "Isaac was here" and lead them to the bonus room from our room. I thought they'd be up there for a while giving me plenty of time to put their treats on the futon downstairs. The last clue was "Gramma's bed." "Isaac was here" is painted right inside the hole leading to the attic. I thought they'd have to think for a minute... but Abigail got it right away. She was jealous that she didn't get to paint "Abigail was here" so I guess it stuck with her more than it did Isaac!
We had dyed eggs on Saturday. Didn't hide the real ones. I don't love dying eggs, but it is one of those things you have to do. My kids fingers will be different colors for the rest of the week.
I smoked a pork butt (which isn't really a butt, I have no idea why they are called that) for over 10 hours Saturday. I love smoking meat... but you have to be home all day in order to add charcoal every hour. Wasn't planning on eating it that night... took it off the grill right before going to bed. May try it tonight. It is another first for me... so we'll see how it tastes.
I'm so ready for things to calm down. I'm always on the move, and I'm tired. I always get like this this time of year. I'm always ready for the new school year in August, but come April/May... I'm worn out. As I suppose all teachers are. My day starts way too early (today was 6:20) and then I work all day (Levi is being unusually happy watching TV in his high chair allowing me to blog) and do not stop til about 10. Then I have one hour to relax a bit before going to bed. Levi doesn't sleep through the night, so the 7 or so hours of sleep don't do what they would if they were 7 solid hours.
And now I want to delete what I just wrote b/c I don't like to complain. I am so blessed. I have nothing to complain about... and really, I'm not complaining... it is what it is and I do the best I can. But, that is why I have eliminated all I can from my life but what I have to do. I don't need extra stressers or more work. I am not superwoman and don't try to be. I have enough to do just maintaining :) THAT I can do!
So I shall leave my complaint :)

4 comments:

Jill said...

Well I think you ARE a superwoman! How you do all you do - I will never know, but I love your letting go what doesn't have to be done philosophy. I've let my "has to be exactly how I planned in my head" go and just enjoy the moment now that Amelia is here. Life is not picture perfect and I have no desire to act as though it is. :) Hope you guys had a wonderful Easter!! Love you Sanders Family!! :)

Gracie Parker said...

And sometimes with your complaints other find comfort and familiarity. And with that there is encouragement. May you also be encouraged right back!!

Mom said...

Loved this post, Becca. Just want you to know that I'm very proud of you and think you are doing an awesome job with your family et al. You've got your priorities in the right place. Keep up the good work!

The Davidson Den said...

Amen. Spring time kills me with the busyness. And Easter is a major stress for me! It's just the getting TO church on time, all dressed, and I usually have music to do that morning as well. But I'm like you. Who has time for baskets BEFORE church?! We're doing good if the kids eat a bite or two of breakfast!