Sunday, October 4, 2009

Doors

**update**
I may not have ever mentioned our "entire plan" for the room, I don't remember. But since Debbie asked, I thought I'd answer that here. I had said it would be for Abigail and Elijah, but then I realized it would be the perfect place for me to recover especially now that Elijah will be spending no time in preschool. I can't block off anything with Elijah. I can put a gate up in this room so I can rest with Levi and feed him w/o worry of what E is doing. There is plenty of room for him to run around even now that we've moved 3 chairs, a bench, and his 'up and down roller coaster' in there. I also thought it would be better for Elijah to get used to NOT having me at night, but staying in the same room for a while and then moving him to a different room. So, he will stay in our room and David will get him if he wakes during the night. Then the plan is for Abigail to go to the bonus room with Elijah. I had told her she's got to show me she can keep her room clean though and thus far, she hasn't done that. So I'm not even sure that will happen. We may just put Elijah in her room for a while, I"m not sure. Or just have her sleep in the bonus room but all her stuff remain in her room. Eventually, Elijah and Levi will share what is her room now and she will move downstairs (there is a bedroom with full bath down there, I'm just not ready to move her that far away from everyone yet, but I don't plan on making her share a bathroom with 4 brothers either). The bonus room will be a playroom/media room/whatever-you-want-to-call-it room. I'd like to have a daybed or something in there for extra guests when we move her downstairs, but I don't want it used as a bedroom forever.
**end update**
Thought I'd take some pictures of the doors I made. Here is a picture of the bedspread that will actually go in the room... you can see the door on the right that I haven't added any trim to.

I have trim around the door on the left. I'll get to the right door eventually. Here is the door closed. It isn't finished... have some more painting to do, caulk, and add the baseboard piece on the bottom.

Here it is opened.

I could barely get up last night after blogging. David had fallen asleep on the couch but I had to wake him up to help me get upstairs. Every step hurt. I knew I'd done a lot and I knew I used muscles I haven't used in a while... but I didn't know I over-did it *that* much. Sitting for 20 min had me about frozen in that position. My back was killing me. Elijah slept in his crib until 7:30 this morning. I don't think it is going to be a problem at all for him to sleep thru the night once he is out of our room. I'm all for co-sleeping the first year, though I never intended him to be in our room for 2.5 years. We didn't intend to live here for 5 years with the bonus room incomplete either. Though I will say I have loved him joining me whether it was at 3 or 5am. He goes right back to sleep, he just wants to cuddle up to me. He is so sweet. If I didn't have to share my bed with a newborn soon, I wouldn't care if he continued to join us... though I do want him in his own room.
I had the worst leg cramp of my life last night. I've been having them... always do at this stage of pregnancy... but usually I flex my foot hard and it will go away after a little while. This one was not going away. It felt like I'd broken it. I got up (which hurt as well) and walked around and it finally stopped.
I'm feeling a little better today. Abigail, Elijah, and I are home from church in order to keep E out of the nursery. Since we're keeping him out of preschool, it makes sense to keep him out of all group care or our efforts would be in vain. I hate not singing and I hope all goes ok. I know they are fine w/o me but David is leading today and I hate not being there. I really thought I might not have to miss a Sunday since I could be there next week, have baby Tuesday, and be back (with Abigail holding Levi in a sling so no one sticks their face in on him) the next Sunday. But, with this flu going around and its effect on healthy pregnant women, we're being a bit more careful.
It is all I can do to keep myself from moving the chairs into the bonus room though. 2 are 'This End Up.' I've moved them plenty of times before, but I know I don't need to right now. The other one though... it was my grandmother's and not as heavy... but still, I don't need to do any more damage. I've got bruises all over already :) and have an even bigger job coming up. I don't need to be worn out and sore from moving furniture. (yes, I'm trying to convince myself not to go move that furniture as I type... lol) There is also a bench in the family room that I want to move up there....

4 comments:

Jill said...

Looks like you guys have done A LOT to the bonus room! Looks great!

Did you get a flu shot? I never got one and the doc hasn't really said anything. Not sure if I should get one or not.

I hope your aches and pains go away soon. You do have a BIG JOB coming up. :)

((HUGS))

Debbie said...

Hey Becca,
I forgot how you said you were going to use that bonus room. I thought I remembered you saying that Elijah would be sleeping in there with Abigail. Or is it going to be more like a family room?

It looks great, but wow. You sure did a lot of work at once to make it that way. Please be careful and rest up for the big day! Take care!

jensoup said...

Great ideas on uses for that beautiful room!Since its new it should keep E occupied so you can resy up-excellent idea! BTW..I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one w/a daughter that can NOT keep her room clean:-(
I been forgetting to ask ...are you going to be posting from the hospital w/laboring updates?

Karen said...

I cannot believe that you are doing all this work 8 days before you have a 5th baby. Wonder woman's got nothing on you!!! I am super impressed, and a little tired ;)