Friday, October 16, 2009

Labor Story

The internet connection didn't cooperate in the hospital. I thought I'd be able to do a better job of updating, but as it was my blackberry had to get a lot of use and the computer... not so much :)
I did want to share how labor went. I'm not real sure when I started pushing, but I'm guessing it was a bit after 2:30. We gave Abigail the choice of staying or going to the waiting room. I told her it didn't matter to me if she stayed or not and the only reason I thought it might be good for her is b/c most people don't witness a birth until they have their own baby. And for me, there was a lot of anxiety associated with it. I had no idea what to expect having only seen what they portray in movies. And that is what she said had her concerned. She has seen it in movies and it had her a bit scared, thinking I'd be screaming. I promised her there would be no screaming. I got the epidural earlier than I otherwise would have b/c she was with me. I didn't want to scare her at all. It started to wear off right as time came to push. The nurse anesthetist gave me an extra dose though, so it was all good.
She started out standing kinda back but then when time came really close, she moved up by me and actually took over counting for the nurse. No one told her to, she just started counting and the nurse said she was doing an excellent job... so she took over that one :) She loved it though.
Afterwards the nurse asked if she wanted to see the placenta and then proceeded to explain all that to her! I've never cared to see the thing, never asked... but she was all too curious and seemed to enjoy the lesson.
At the start of labor, I teased her saying "you didn't know learning about the birds and bees would have you end up here, did ya?" She said "huh, birds and bees??" lol she had no idea what I was talking about so I had to say, "you know, *the* talk?" Then she said "ooooooohhhhh!"
It didn't take too long for him to come since he was born at 3:04. Pushing wasn't working for me at first. I was too flat. Raise up a bit and then all was good :) He was a big boy. We didn't weigh him right away, so he probably was 9 lbs. He had peed at least once :) I have THE best doctor though and had no issues. I felt great the entire time in the hospital. Didn't need a single pain pill. They gave me a torodol after I had some SERIOUS contractions the next morning. The nurse said it was an anti-inflamatory and wouldn't make me drowsy. I didn't think it did much of anything, but the contractions did get better after those early morning ones. I knew it got worse with each kid though, so expected it. Didn't help with the pain though :)
I came home yesterday afternoon feeling good. Maybe a bit too good b/c I did too much. I held Elijah when he got home (he had spent the night with Ron and Kathy) and while I don't regret holding him... I need to not do that. He was doing his fair share of kicking me in the stomach so I was just hurting last night.
I expected Elijah to be extra clingy, and he was. But things are getting better. I stayed in the bonus room this morning and he stayed downstairs with daddy. My mom ended up staying so I have plenty of help. She was supposed to go back home yesterday for a closing, but she said she just couldn't leave. And I'm glad b/c it sure makes things easier with her here... and my house isn't falling apart. AND she's grilling steaks tonight!
Levi is doing great. He's eating often but not ALL the time like Elijah and Isaac did. I started using cloth on him today and they fit fine. He's a happy guy :)

This is one of the "one size" covers. I tested it out first to see if it was going to work... and it does. The size one duo wraps fit a bit better though.
The next post will be a BUNCH of pictures!

2 comments:

LF said...

YAY! So glad you are doing good!!! He is a doll!!!

The Davidson Den said...

Boy, those postpartum contractions are crazy bad, aren't they? No one told me they got worse until I had had my second child. These are the things I like to KNOW about. :)

It's so cool that Abigail opted to stay and HELP. What a special relationship you have with her!