Sunday, July 19, 2009

My baby is growing up

I didn't know how I was going to get thru this summer. At the beginning of it, Elijah was into EVERYTHING. I came VERY close to buying a massive gate that would go across the kitchen. I didn't buy it b/c it was over $100 and I really didn't want that huge thing cluttering up my house. But, I couldn't see him constantly getting into stuff all summer long w/o me losing my mind.
But, thankfully, that has not happened. He has gotten so much better. He is a good little 2 year old. David's and my parenting style is probably not like most when it comes to the first couple of years. I'm not 'anti-spanking' but I am 'anti-spanking- to-TEACH-something-is-wrong'. I wait until they UNDERSTAND something is wrong and they then do it anyway. But I haven't seen that in Elijah... yet. I never saw much of it in Noah, so I'm hoping he is like him. Isaac on the other hand, has probably gotten more spankings in one day than Noah has gotten in his life. Noah is one of those kids you look at with cross eyes and it is enough to straighten him up. He tries to do the right thing, all the time. Isaac... no. He sort of tries when you are looking, but turn your back and forget it. He's going to fit as much wrong into that timeframe as he can! Abigail had her moments when she was younger, but has turned into an obedient child too.
So, we'll see how Elijah is. Regardless, I'm blessed. Things always work out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I like your philosophy - I've never heard it put that way before and it makes total sense.

Jill said...

I never had to have many spankings. If I knew I had disappointed my parents, I was crushed...that was enough for me. I think it's important to wait until they understand or you will be spanking them non-stop. LOL

You guys have good kids. :)